Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Falling

Never before have a step been so hard. But then again, never again have a misstep had such dire consequences. There is no bottom to be seen anymore, nor has it been for quite a while. I've reached the top now, with no ways other than back the way I came or over the edge. I close my eyes; despite the great view this is not a place to be because of the view, not just the view at least. There's the smells, the soft touch of wind on my skin; through my beard and hair, the exited heartbeats, the sweet symphony of the winds' many voices. I let myself enjoy each sensation as I work my way through all the distractions to the very core of my being; my heart. And as I beg for advice it just tells me one thing; "Open your eyes." So I do, and all the senses rush back over me as a flood of confusion before I can see what is going on. I'm falling already, and it suddenly hits me; I've been falling since I first set foot on this path. All the while my fear of falling had been working to cover up the fact that I was already falling, and all I ever had to do was ask my heart, from the very beginning. It feels kind of relieving, as well as scary, to know that all I can do now is wait and see what happens. 

No comments: